[RP] newbie: bindings without prefix

From: twb
Subject: [RP] newbie: bindings without prefix
Date: Sat Mar 22 00:27:16 2003

Is it possible to bind keys without using *any* prefix?  I ideally
want something like this:

<mod4>-k = delete
<mod4>-e = exec emacs
<mod4>-t = other

(without presssing C-t or something first).

It would also be nice to nest key bindings (like in Ion).  I worked
out a generic, bastardized way to do this:

say you want to do this:
<mod4>-d
  {
    d colon exec dillo
    s colon exec dillo google.com/search?q=
    l colon exec dillo google.com/linux?q=
    f colon exec dillo freshmeat.net/
  }

(<mod4>-d d begins dillo in RP's minibuffer, etc.)

1) make <mod4>-d create each of the bindings inside it.
2) each of these bindings it creates unmaps all the created bindings,
   then executes the `real' binding.

I think you'd do this in RP like so

bind H-d exec ratpoison -c "bind d exec ratpoison -c 'unbind d'; ratpoison -c
'colon exec dillo'"

It would be just as easy to do this with an external keybinder, but I
can't find any that support nesting `normally'.

any ideas?
        --twb