Re: [RP] more with the scripts...

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] more with the scripts...
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:15:34 -0600

   Up spake Joe Corneli:
   > I don't think I can do this in the .ratpoisonrc, because I'd need an
   > "exec" which I can't use at that point (and maybe the syntax I used is
   > wrong b/c I don't like the look of those braces).

   Do you use xinit?  You could put it in your .xinitrc:

    gkrellm &
    whatever &
   +PATH=PATH:/foo:/bar
   +export PATH
    ratpoison

That seems very sensible.  At present, the .xinitrc looks like

 #!/bin/bash

 xsetroot -solid black -cursor_name left_ptr
 export SHELL="tcsh"
 stty erase '^?'
 /sw/bin/rxvt -e tcsh &
 /Users/arided/bin/unclutter -idle 1 -jitter 12 &
 /Users/arided/ratpoison/src/ratpoison

I'll adjust it as per your advice.

   You should try to work out at what point the environment isn't being
   inherited.  E.g. sh (.profile, .login) vs. bash (.bashrc, .bash_profile)
   vs. csh (???), login vs. normal shell.

Maybe it has to do with the SHELL="tcsh" assignment above?  When I set
things up I just wanted to avoid thinking and make the basics work.
But not being able to run scripts through RP was definitely getting
tiresome.

thnx,

Joe