Re: [RP] Request: Documentation change

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] Request: Documentation change
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:47:57 -0500

   > Furthermore, this:
   >
   >    +These all correspond to keys on the keypad:
   >
   > is dubious.

   Maybe just documenting that a list of keysyms can be found in keysymdef.h
   is sufficient for 95% of ratpoison's users.  That last 5%, however, may not
   have headers installed on the machine they're using.

Seems to me this sort of list could go on the Wiki.

My point above was that the correspondence between keysyms and
physical keys is essentially arbitrary.  If you want to talk about the
correspondence between keys and keysyms, you should talk about xev and
xmodmap.  For example, you might say that you can bind to any of the
keysyms printed out by xmodmap -pk *right now*, and that additional
keysyms are listed in keysymdef.h (or on the wiki).

I have nothing against documenting this stuff, but it should go in the
right place and above all it should be accurate.

Joe