[RP] Java/JRE/JVM under ratpoison

From: Ross Patterson
Subject: [RP] Java/JRE/JVM under ratpoison
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:27:33 -0800

Apparently Java has a problem with non-reparenting window managers of
which ratpoison is one:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;jsessionid=44019c71215e20142b35729ddd054?bug_id=6574362

The symptom is the the java app displays only an empty window and does
nothing else.  I found a couple of workarounds and wanted to document
them where they might be googleable.

Firstly, the problem doesn't exist in Java/JRE/JVM 7 so that's one
workaround.  The other workaround is to use AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit.  You
can either set this as an environment variable or prepend it to the
command.  I'm using Jmeter so it looked like:

  $ AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit bin/jmeter

Just FYI.

Ross