[RP] Ratpoison under Gnome

From: Ross Patterson
Subject: [RP] Ratpoison under Gnome
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:56:03 -0800

I just added some instructions to the Gnome wiki page for using
ratpoison and stalonetray under Gnome:

http://ratpoison.antidesktop.net/cgi-bin/wiki/Gnome

Since it's just some text, I'll just include it here as well.

If you like the integration provided by the Gnome desktop (wifi, power
management, removable devices, etc.) but hate how ratty it is, it's
possible to use ratpoison as the window manager for Gnome with the help
of stalonetray and a few tweaks.

The Gnome panel does not play nicely with RP in the sense that when the
Gnome compatible WM is replaced with RP, the panel no longer functions
as a system tray/notification area. Much of the integration provided by
Gnome requires a notification area so use the stand alone system tray,
or stalonetray, to serve as a notification are/system tray instead of
the Gnome panel.

Launch a terminal and then launch gnome-session-properties from that
terminal. The WM will be killed leaving X with no WM so it's important
to ensure that the terminal window will be accessible once we close
gnome-session-properties. This can be accomplished, for example, by
having the terminal behind gnome-session-properties which is pretty much
the way it should have launched so doing nothing should be fine, just be
wary of any window switches.

On the first tab add launchers for both ratpoison and stalonetray. On
the second tab, select each of gnome-panel and the WM (usually either
metacity or compiz) in turn and click remove then apply. You may want to
do the same for nautilus if you don't want a desktop window hanging
around (though it may be desirable for removeable media, for example).

At this point, there will be no window manager. Close
gnome-session-properties, then in the terminal run "gnome-session-save
--kill" and click "Log out". Try logging into your Gnome session again
and you should be off and running with ratpoison, stalonetray and Gnome.

Ross