Re: [RP] operations occur in wrong frame

From: Martin Lefebvre
Subject: Re: [RP] operations occur in wrong frame
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:45:10 -0500

is it possible that frames 2 and 3 have been set dedicated?

On Dec 20, 2007 2:28 AM, TBlittlefoot <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 02:08:35PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 3 frames open:
>
> +-------+-------+
> | 2     |  3    |
> |       |       |
> |       +-------+
> |       |  4    |
> |       |       |
> +-------+-------+
>
> Frame 2 is active. Same thing happens though if frame 3 is active.
>
> Ctrl-T T - changes the active frame (2 or 3).
>
> ...anything else changes frame 4 (eg. Ctrl T N, Ctrl T <number>), and
> then highlights frame 2 is active.
>
> Have I somewhere accidently entered some weird mode that forces all
> commands to go to frame 4?
>
> I tried deleting frame 4 and recreating it, but the same thing occurs.
>
> Possible swapping frame 2 and frame 4 with Ctrl-T Ctrl-Left Arrow is
> what triggered this condition.
>
> It only seems to happen for frame number 4 though. I can't reproduce
> it for frame 5, even in the same spot.
>
> Ratpoison, Debian version, 1.4.2-1

I don't really follow the above, Brian. What applications are you running
in each frame? Just an xterm?

Why is it frames 2.3,4?  What happenned to 1? When I set up the above
configuration in a new workspace, with xterms, the numbers are 1,2,3
instead of 2,3,4. Ctrl-t-Tab cycles through them in that order and running
simple shell commands in any active window changes nothing in any other.
Ctrl-t-t or  Ctrl-t-n/p don't do anything but give a "no other window"
error. You can go to each window by number or name, though.

Ctrl-t-<up/down/left/right> just shifts the focus to the indicated frame.

Right now, all I can suggest is that you try dedicating each frame: Shift
the focus to each one and bring up the RP prompt and type "dedicate".

But first, do all this:

Try Shifting to tty1 (assuming that's where X booted from) and see if there
are any RP messages there. Or any from the apps you are running in
those frames.

Then kill X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and enter

Kill -HUP 1

as root, to run init again, then restart X and RP.

Tom