Re: [RP] browser integration?

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] browser integration?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:46:14 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 04:28:04PM +0000, jl wrote:
> Vrome, for Chrome, is akin to parts of Vimperator, Conkeror.

Interesting hint. For those who are too lazy to google for it:

  http://github.com/jinzhu/vrome/
  http://www.chromeextensions.org/other/vrome/

Another vimperator clone with (pure) webkit is btw. vimprobable[1].
(Why do I always want to called it vimproper? :-)

  [1] http://www.yllr.net/vimprobable/

But both are non-interesting for me since I stick to Emacs
keybindings since I grew up with Emacs and Lisp and humans are a
creature of habit. Bookmarked vrome though. :-)

> I have similar ambitions for controlling browser windows from
> Ratpoison.  And, while Firefox-vimperator & Conkeror are great
> function/feature-wise, their performance can be a problem for me (high
> CPU usually).

Well, except xulrunner memory leaks with very few pages, I'm very
happy with Conkeror. I already had nearly 300 tabs/buffers open
without any performance issues.

As I wrote:

> > You can open new windows instead new buffers/tabs in Conkeror, then
> > each buffer/tab/window will be managed by ratpoison.
> >
> > Doesn't scale though IMHO since conkeror's buffer selection method
> > (C-x b and then typing part of the URL or title of a web page) is far
> > more efficient.

I can't imagine handling the above mentioned amount of windows with
ratmenu or equivalent efficiently -- not because of performance but
because of usability and overview. Conkeror can handle this very
easily despite and with at least some overview.

> My next aim is to have a ratmenu that shows only browser windows.
> Any suggestions as to how groups, workspaces or other ratpoisoness
> can be employed are most welcome.

I may help here: I built myself an interactive window list using
ratmenu (or alternatively ratmen due to the UTF-8 patch available for
it).

I though haven't it online somewhere and the two computers where I
have it in use and installed are currently both in my luggage, since
I just returned from Chmenitzer Linux-Tage.

During the next days I'll try to put those scripts I use as well as my
.ratpoisonrc into a git repo and post it here, too. Will contain some
dmenu-based stuff, too.

                Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - address@hidden, address@hidden - http://noone.org/abe/