Re: [RP] How to put windows into groups by application type.

From: Eric A
Subject: Re: [RP] How to put windows into groups by application type.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:06:38 +0100

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:09 AM, tomm smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> I believe I have created a patch for this desired hook. Only had to
> change a few lines, basically define the hook and add a hook call to
> new_window(). I am a newborn in the C world so if any of this is
> hackery that does not comply with GNU coding standards I do apologize.
> I have attached the patch to this email. I tested out the code very
> shortly I plan to test it more, but initial test showed everything was
> working smoothly.

Thanks, I think this is what I'm looking for! I tried it out, but ran
into a problem. It seems that for most programs,
new_window(XCreateWindowEvent *e) is called multiple times. For
example, starting midori issues 2 events and firefox 3 events. In
fact, the only program that I've tested that calls it just once is
urxvt.

I tried filtering out the multiple events by looking at the window
properties. It seems that all the additional events have window
height/widths (e->height and e->width) of 1, 2, or 10. So by filtering
all windows with height/widths of <=10, I was able to produce only one
event per "real window".

I'm not sure whether this would work 100% of the time though. Do you
have any better ideas?

Thanks,
Eric