Re: [RP] github vs. savannah vs. gitorious

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] github vs. savannah vs. gitorious
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:09:46 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 09:26:37AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On 10 July 2012 05:25,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> > - Gitorious seems to cost money unless I use the gitorious software to
> >   run a repo on my home computer.  I don't own any machines with enough
> >   uptime to dependably host software.
>
> Are you sure about this? I believe it is free.

Yep, Gitorious is free to use.

Even more: Gitorious is free software (i.e. you _can_ run your own
server, but you don't need to), especially compared to GitHub, which
makes it "more politically correct" to host free software there.

Nevertheless GitHub definitely has the more intuitive and easier to
use interface.

> Not that I have any objection against github either.

I'm fine with both, but must admit that I would prefer GitHub.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)