Re: [RP] ratpoison, patches, and the future

From: Javier Bassi
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison, patches, and the future
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 00:49:51 -0300

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Jeff Abrahamson <address@hidden> wrote:

> My rough development list is this:
> 1. Frame affinity (an option). When I close a window, only windows that have
> some reasonable call to display in that frame should appear. Don't just
> display the most recently unmapped window.
> 2. Workspace improvements.
> 3. Tests. We don't have any, enough said.
> 4. Performance measurement. We have this ultra-lightweight window manager, we
> should be able to claim that it's fast and lightweight. But we have no
> measurements, we have no benchmarks, and this saddens me.
> 5. Xrandr. When I plug an external display into my laptop, I have to restart
> ratpoison to detect the external screen. This is a limitation of xinerama,
> which has largely been replaced in the outside world by xrandr. We should
> support xrandr

rpws is the weakest part of my rp experience. With many frames it gets
slow, even to the point one can press Alt+F1 to switch workspace and
then modify/split/resize the frames in the current workspace before
rpws is able to switch it.
So for me 2. would be nice.

1. and 5. does not apply to me.
2. and 3. can't hurt.

Go ahead and fork. There will always be time to push to master.
The wiki patches have a mirror here:
https://github.com/jbaber/ratpoison_scripts
some patches from the 'lost' folder can be recovered with archive.org