Re: [RP] ratpoison, patches, and the future

From: Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison, patches, and the future
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 16:13:42 +0100

Jeff Abrahamson <address@hidden> writes:

> Happy new year (almost)!
>
> TL;DR - I've created an additional public git repository
> <https://github.com/JeffAbrahamson/ratpoison/> for ratpoison with my
> patches merged in. (Git is, after all, intended to be multi-homed.) I don't
> want this to turn into a project fork, but if there's no discussion, that
> could accidentally happen. This email starts that discussion.

> With more text:
>
> I've submitted a number of patches to ratpoison on this list. Most of them
> haven't made their way into the main source tree, and not because of
> discussion suggesting they shouldn't.

> This bothers me on a couple levels. I
> want to use my own patches. I also want the warm feeling of public credit
> that comes from seeing my name show up in invocations of "git log". And I'd
> like to note my contributions to ratpoison on my CV without a reader of my
> CV thinking I'm lying for lack of mention in the log or the AUTHORS file.
>
> I've pinged Jérémie about this privately, but the conversation didn't
> start. I assume he's busy rather than ignoring me, and this email is in no
> way an expression of animosity.

Actually as I told you I got swamped in work on my side.  A few months
ago I sent you a mail telling you that I was available again to discuss
further changes and possibly adding you as a developer on Savannah.
I did not receive any response that I can find in my mailbox. :)

[...]

> What I'd like is either to have commit privileges to the main repository or
> else to have a much more reactive process for applying patches (with "git
> am" so that contributors get credit in the log).

As I said, you getting commit access to the savannah git repo doesn't
mean that there won't be a form of discussion regarding what changes go
on the master branch. ;)

[...]

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE