Re: [RP] ratpoison, patches, and the future

From: Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison, patches, and the future
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:08:20 +0100

Hi,

Joren Van Onder <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I've built your ratpoison and I've been running it today. I've taken a
> quick look at your git log to figure out what kind of things you added
> or changed from a user perspective (so disregarding internal stuff and
> refactoring), just to make sure I'm not missing out on something. I've
> come up with pushwindow, pullwindow and focus_policy. Does that sound
> right?
>
> I really like the push/pullwindow commands, they make certain things
> much easier.

It's not clear to me whether push/pullwindow are just syntactic sugar or
not, as put by Johannes Altmanninger:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/ratpoison-devel/2014-10/msg00000.html

> In regards to the focus_policy, is there a specific reason
> you didn't implement that as a variable (that can be modified with
> 'set')? Not a big deal ofcourse, but I feel it would be more in line
> with how ratpoison is currently being configured.

I've sent a private reply to Jeff regarding this.  Yes, it should be
a setting.  Looks like we'll be able to get rid of contrib/sloppy.c,
wheee...

> I also like your plan to support workspaces. As some other people have
> said, rpws isn't really all that great. And I'm not sure why the
> decision was made to implement workspaces in a perl script of all
> things. It is much slower than the native ratpoison commands. These days
> I tend to just use ratpoison groups because of this. This works well but
> has some obvious limitations, because a ratpoison group is just a group
> of windows without any kind of frame layout associated with it. Portings
> rpws functionality into ratpoison itself would be great. (I haven't
> looked at the code, but it might not be that hard if it's possible to
> reuse the already existing group code and add a frame layout and
> window->frame mappings (fdump) to each group to make up a workspace.)

Lots of people complain about rpws, but to this day no one did propose
both a clean design and time to implement workspaces natively.  Let's
see where this go. :)

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE