rdiff-backup-users

Re: cross-platform backup tool Is anybody actively testing the beta vers

From: Frank Crawford
Subject: Re: cross-platform backup tool Is anybody actively testing the beta version?
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 17:55:53 +1100

On Sun, 2022-11-06 at 07:37 +0100, EricZolf wrote:
> Hi,
> >
> > Is that the case in the current version, or are they just
> > approximately
> > correct, i.e. things like read-only directories get write
> > permission
> > added?
>
> The file system permissions are approximately correct, the file
> permissions are nevertheless stored 100% correctly as metadata (in
> rdiff-backup-data/mirror_metadata.DATEANDTIME.snapshot.gz), so that
> they
> can be 100% restored, if possible. Both file system permissions
> (backup
> and restored) are mainly dependent on the capabilities of the user
> doing
> the backup resp. restore.

Yes, that is what I thought was the case, i.e. the full permissions are
stored separately, but it is close on the repo.  If I want it correct,
do a proper restore, not just copy the recent file.

> E.g. as a normal user can't change the owner of a file, all files
> they
> create will belong to them; on the other hand, doing backup and
> restore
> as root should guarantee 100% the same access rights (assuming things
> like SELinux don't stand in the way).

Yes, that is what I thought in the normal case, and I have cases where
it has worked, and a couple of others where some files are missing from
the repo.

I suspect it is due to some past errors, but need time to see if I can
find how it happened.

> I don't think this behaviour changed between 2.0 and 2.1+

Yes.  I suspect that if there is an issue, it is probably caused by an
error or more along the way.  Remember this is my test system.

My suspicion is that it was probably caused by some issue in error
handling, or clean up, and may or may not have been fixed, but unless I
can duplicate it, there isn't much I can report.

> Hope this explains it,
> Eric

Regards
Frank