rdiff-backup-users

Re: cross-platform backup tool Planning for milestone 2.4.0

From: Eric Zolf
Subject: Re: cross-platform backup tool Planning for milestone 2.4.0
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 18:26:21 +0100

Hi,

On 23/11/2022 13:04, Patrik Dufresne wrote:
Hiu Eric,

Thanks alot for all the good work you have done so far on rdiff-backup. It
was about time to have someone dedicated like you are to the project.

As for version 2.2.0 I have to re-test, but I've faced a compilation issue
on MacOS with the latest pip version. I had to revert back to the previous
version of pip. I'm not sure if it's related to pip or rdiff-backup at this
point. https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/11597
It might be related to the tweak we are doing in setup.py.

From the look of it, it has nothing to do with rdiff-backup but more with the way Python/clang is compiling libraries and finding the librsync library and include files. I get a similar error message under Windows if I forget to define `LIBRSYNC_DIR`. I have no clue of MacOS but I'd check how it finds libraries/includes and what could have changed with pip in this regard.

As for version 2.4.0, the list of enhancements is great and will be a good
improvement to move forward.
One BIG missing feature that is worth thinking about is to continue a
backup after a failure.

Yeah, a bit too big for this release I thought. In my eyes rather a 3.0 topic, once the code has been extensively cleaned-up. I'll keep an eye on it though.

KR, Eric