repo-criteria-discuss

Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?

From: Pau Amma
Subject: Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:55:20 +0000

On 2022-02-24 04:50, Richard Stallman wrote:
  > > We are the free software movement.

> False. You are *a part of* the free software movement, but nowhere near
  > all of it, and whether you're currently a major part of it (or ever
  > were) is debatable.

I started the free software movement, and I developed the philosophy
for it.  I also launched development of the GNU system.  We have been
campaigning for software freedom for a long time.

No, you didn't do either. Free software existed long before the FSF and there were philosophical underpinnings to it before you developed your own version. Attempting to redefine "free" won't change that; you're not Humpty Dumpty, and even if you were, that's not how consensual linguistic reality works. Remember SHARE? Remember OS/360, OS/VS1, OS/VS2, all in the public domain since the 1960s and 1970s? Remember the Michigan Terminal System, which you could get with no strings attached?

Your hostility,

I'm not hostile, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see you try the tone argument on me. (In case you thought that it would work or that I or others wouldn't recognize it for what it is, you're incorrect on both counts.). I'm tenacious, willing to call out your bullshit, misrepresentations, and lies publicly for what they are, and utterly unamused at the condescension oozing from your first email to me. (I believe that alone would justify hostility, but that's not how I roll.)

often based on incorrect guesses of what our views
are,

Wrong again. I'm not guessing, Iem observing what your actions are and aren't, and the statements you made that contradict them. The thoughts in your own head and others' and internal FSF discussions you may have taken part in, unsurprisingly don't enter the picture. What you just did, I believe, was a strawman argument.

doesn't show our views are wrong,

Whether your views are wrong, right, or colorless green ideas flying furiously is actually irrelevant to me and unrelated to what I'm saying. I'm sticking to your public statements and your observed actions or inaction.

only that you disagree.
It is not a reason to change them.

Again, irrelevant.

I would have been willing to discuss with you the reasons why (1)
accessibility is an issue of features not freedom

It's not, and this, BTW, is a fallacy known as affirming the consequent. Accessibility, in web terms, means the ability to make use of a website or service. Without that ability, alleged, theoretical freedom is as absurdly meaningless as claiming I'm free to get to drinking water on the other side of a smooth 5 meter high, 1 meter thick concrete wall because others conceivably scale the wall, without an opening in the wall I can walk through. https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html clearly states "The criteria emphasize [...] not rejecting any users." Without accessibility, you *are* rejecting users, which is in direct violation of your own criteria. Not owning to that is hypocrisy.

and (2) why software
freedom is properly a higher priority than features,

Again, irrelevant, because accessibility isn't a feature, it's part of parcel of that freedom your website claims (correctly, as it happens) that all users of source code repositories deserve as a matter of course.

if you were
inclined to have a thoughtful discussion about these questions. But
you're not inclined to do that,

I am indeed, disinclined to have a "thoughtful discussion" (whatever you mean by that) about "questions" that as I explained above and in past emails are irrelevant, grounded in your misrepresentations or fallacies, or both. But that's a feature, not a bug, as these aren't what we should be discussing. Instead, I'm inclined and willing (as I already said) to discuss the FSF' statements, its actions or lack thereof, and the glaring contradictions between them.

so I don't see a point in explaining.

And I don't see a point in your repeated attempts to explain away (aka, "sweep under the rug") the unjustifiable. Are you willing to get a grip and stop doing that?

--
#StandWithUkrainians
English: he/him/his (singular they/them/their/theirs OK)