reproduce-devel

[task #15694] pdflatex: why allow write18 with -shell-escape?

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15694] pdflatex: why allow write18 with -shell-escape?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:02:02 -0400 (EDT)

Update of task #15694 (project reproduce):

             Open/Closed:                  Closed => Open

Follow-up Comment #2:

I haven't yet had time to trying using PGFPlots. I'm not proposing
that we exclude it, but we _do_ need to warn the user. A debate
about whether the security risk is worth it or not can be started
later, by people who know enough or who are sufficiently interested,
but it would be unreasonable to expect the user to "trust us"
and override a security recommendation without any justification
or information on where to develop the discussion.

Here is a proposed fix:

https://codeberg.org/boud/maneage_dev/src/branch/shell-escape-security-warning

https://codeberg.org/boud/maneage_dev/commit/c69bde3ca5ee39c81beb655af8f4c1d4c8f0ab52

Without a warning like this, I see the issue as still open.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15694>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/