reproduce-devel

[task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 18:20:47 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #6, task #15686 (project reproduce):

I agree that this appears to be a misunderstanding.

Now it seems that the proposal would not change the present
situation: the preferred download
source will continue to be either the upstream URLs
or a local tarball directory, as chosen (or left unmodified) by the user
in reproduce/software/make/high-level.mk

The proposal is about how to handle backup (downstream) servers
of tarballs.

Is this right?

If yes, then my points are clarified - thanks. :)

Regarding the specific servers presently listed,
it seems a bit inefficient to me to use git for tarballs,
but Debian does include tarballs in specific git branches:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-astro-team/inhomog/-/tree/pristine-tar
so it's probably a reasonable solution chosen after wide
discussion among many Debian people who are quite serious
about efficiency and sustainability.

Probably you know this, but in maneage commit 0b49fb0 I see three
backup servers, and 2 out of 3 are currently inoperative:

     12 http://gitlab.com/maneage/tarballs-software/-/raw/master

which in a browser gives me a 404 apache return code:

Page Not Found

Make sure the address is correct and the page hasn't moved.

Please contact your GitLab administrator if you think this is a mistake.

and

http://akhlaghi.org/maneage-software/

which in a browser gives me a 403 apache return code:

403 Forbidden
nginx/1.14.2

:P

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686>