reproduce-devel

[task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:03:49 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #7, task #15686 (project reproduce):

About those two URLs, try appending them with one of the tarball names and
you'll see they work ;-). They just don't have a top webpage.

This proposal will change the current situation, its not just about the backup
servers.

Besides the backup servers, I am proposing to remove the original URLs, they
make the code really hard to maintain, and have peculiarities. For example
when I submitted Maneage to GNU last year, Richard Stallman complained that
some of the links use Javascript. It wasn't easy to convince him that we also
have backup servers! Because the preferred URLs were those of the software! It
is still under review in GNU!

As an alternative, I am thinking of this: we add an optional argument for each
software where the user can give a custom, software specific URL instead of
one general URL. If the argument isn't set, we'll use our own backup servers.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/