reproduce-devel

[task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:57:52 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #5, task #15686 (project reproduce):

Thanks for your thoughts Boud,

Maybe my initial wording of the proposed solution was not too good, so let me
clarify the suggestion:

In the current Maneage framework, there are a set of backup servers
<http://git.maneage.org/project.git/tree/reproduce/software/config/servers-backup.conf>
and recently Zenodo has been added is well.

These backup servers currently act like this: when the original software URL
doesn't respond (for any reason), Maneage will start looking for it in these
backup servers one-by-one (first in Zenodo, then in the servers of the
configuration file).

Now, suppose you are using some software packages that are not yet in any of
the official Maneage backup servers. You can put them in your own server, and
add this server to the configuration file.

After time you run './project configure', it also look into your desired
server and ultimately find the file (depending on the place you put your new
server).

Since this file is under version control, if I later want to reproduce your
project, when I run './project configure', it will also look into your server
for the tarball and bring it for me.

So you see, you don't have to add your software's tarball to the official
Maneage Zenodo page, or the official Maneage software repository to use your
custom software.

Of course, before publication it would be good if you submit the
build-instructions of your newly added software as a merge-request for the
core Maneage branch so others can benefit from it (most importantly yourself,
in your next project). In the meantime, you can also submit their tarballs to
be included into the Maneage archival system (the Git repo and Zenodo).

But until that is done, your project can continue and you don't have to wait
;-).

About Zenodo being a single point of failure: fortunately that is  not the
case, currently we have the Maneage-archived software tarballs in three other
servers, as you can see from backup servers
<http://git.maneage.org/project.git/tree/reproduce/software/config/servers-backup.conf>.

Zenodo is just one other redundancy, the currently promises to be the most
reliable, and free solution, designed for transferring large files.

Does this clarify the points you raised?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/