reproduce-devel

[task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 03:12:59 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #13, task #15686 (project reproduce):

Thanks Boud, in Debian (or generally, any complete ooerating system), this is
indeed the case. But Maneage is installed within another operating system, so
the differing library versions between Maneage and the host can cause
conflicts leading to programs crashing (in some cases even where
LD_LIBRAY_PATH was set in the Makefile!)! This was arguably the most
frustrating thing for Raul and me last year when we were adding the first
draft of the software building rules.

Having RPATH within the executable also allows it to be run outside of
Maneage's Makefiles. For example you can run '.local/bin/awk' to use your
project's AWK in your host's shell for other things!

Infact when I am on a large institute computer (where I don't have root access
and can't easily change the core software versions, and they are usually very
old versions), I just add one of my Maneaged project's installed software
directories to my PATH in my account's '.bashrc'. So I can use my modern and
fully controlled versions of things like Bash, AWK or etc :-).

About the static build being preferred, this is an old relic which I guess we
should remove! It is effectively disabled in "configure.sh". This was because
many software unfortunately don't support static builds, and more importantly,
in a static build you have no way of knowing (to my knowledge!) what has been
linked! This resulted in some hard-to-debug situations in those first days!

Now, you can run this command on any Maneaged software (even outside of
Maneage) in GNU/Linux OSs (in macOS it is 'otool -L') to make sure what
libraries it links with:

ldd .local/bin/awk

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686>

  Message sent via Savannah