reproduce-devel

[task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?

From: Raul Infante-Sainz
Subject: [task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 05:46:50 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, task #15686 (project reproduce):

I think it is a really good idea to do that because it will simplify the way
the software is managed. However, I see some problems.

It will not be up to the user the election of a particular version of a given
software, right? If we remove all software-specific URL (I understand by this
to remove each individual URL to each program in `basic.mk', `high-level.mk'
and `python.mk'), then the version of each program is only the version we have
uploaded to zenodo. Is this correct?

In principle, I think the advantages of keep things easier are far better than
possible annoying of a particular person needing a particular version of a
program. And even in this case, we can always upload the needed version of the
program. Also, the fact that we will never remove any tarball ensures that we
are safe in this sense.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/