reproduce-devel

[task #16244] Software update 2022-2

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #16244] Software update 2022-2
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 06:02:24 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #9, task #16244 (project reproduce):

[comment #6 comment #6:]
> I just re-built Maneage and this time, I commented the deletion of the
'gcc-12.1.0' directory (that GCC was built in). So that directory remained.

> Afterwards, when GCC was fully built and installed, I checked the disk usage
of that directory and got 7.4G:

> $ du -sh gcc-12.1.0/
> 7.4G  gcc-12.1.0/
>
> So I am a little confused how it has taken ~12G on your system?

Firstly, 12GiB is the *total* RAM, including tmpfs space on /tmp, which is
also a RAM disk: this is fairly common, especially for speed; and, of course,
the RAM used during compiling.

Secondly, I haven't checked if gcc or basic.mk delete any of gcc's working
files during the compilation process, so _du -hs_ might only give a lower
limit to "disk" usage in the _gcc-12.1.0/_ src+build directory.

So we may have something like:

total_ram_max = gcc_compilation_ram_max + slash_tmp_ram_needed +
dev_shm_gcc_src_files_ram + dev_shm_gcc_working_files_ram_max

though these names are just off the top of my head and probably not the best.

This gets back to bug #62879 - it would probably make more sense to do all of
this using a config/*.conf file rather than force the user to _grep_ through
_configure.sh_ and _basic.mk_ . Having key assumptions of the system hidden in
code rather than unconfigurable is not modular and makes the system more
likely to break. Of course, someone reproducing a project should, in
principle, not have to modify any of the configurable parameters. But that
would still be better than having to modify  _configure.sh_ or _basic.mk_ .

We could include a test for _/tmp_ , to see if it's also on ram (tmpfs or
other known ram-disk file systems), and also update each of the other three
parameters after each gcc update.

#62879 https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?62879

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16244>

Message sent via Savannah