reproduce-devel

[task #16244] Software update 2022-2

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16244] Software update 2022-2
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 09:11:45 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #10, task #16244 (project reproduce):

Thanks a lot Raul and Boud,

Just now I finished a build on a system that still has a Debian from 2010! And
only three basic software needed to be degraded (because they need more recent
C++ standards): PatchELF, Binutils and GCC! Everything else built sucessfully
:-).

After Maneage was fully installed, I was able to jump 12 years ahead (in terms
of the software environment) by simply running './project shell' :-).

Based on this experience, I have added a small section in README.md
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/blob/update-software/README.md#building-on-older-systems-10-year-old-compilers>
about building on older systems

I also found some bugs that we hadn't noticed until, and they are now in
Commit e6535484 <https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/e6535484>  of
the 'update-software' branch.

Raul, as you see in the commit above, I added those software to 'TARGETS.conf'
for now, so they are tested automatically in our final tests before the merge,
thanks for the good suggestion ;-). I should say that they all built smoothly
on the 12 year old system also ;-).

Boud, I agree with your point about having a unified script to check the RAM!
It is indeed a great idea! Can you write a first version?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16244>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/