[Savannah-hackers-public] wikimedia, make a fork and the GPL

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] wikimedia, make a fork and the GPL
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:00:48 -0400

Hello Dave(?). :-)

Another problem:
wikimedia (powered by SF.net) was released under the GNU GPL, but lacks
any information about license + copyright.
The project has got a COPYING file, but any source file lacks
these notices.

Now oklahoma
(https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=4542)
wants to make a "fork" (or at least something like that -> "derivative work").

But if he wants to copy /all/ files from wikimedia and then work on this,
he had to insert license/copyright/permission-to-copy statements.

But he also had to protect the rights of the original author(s).
Here we have got a problem.

Because of the insert GPL in COPYING we can assume that *all* files were
published
under the GPL? So he can insert GPL license stuff at top of each file of source
code?
Can we also assume that the pictures were published under the GPL?

And what about the copyright stuff? How does he know where the original author
is of a file? Or can we assign all copyright per default to the Wikimedia
project?
:-)

Can you please clarify the points to me? :-/

--
| kickino.org || savannah.gnu.org || gnu.org || forkbomb.ch |

<Devilbunny> when talking to a girl who's a programmer about dating prospects,
I said not to worry.
<Devilbunny> as a programmer, she'll be exposed to geek boys who may have never
seen a girl before,
and she can have her pick of the litter
<Devilbunny> someone else interjected saying "The odds are good, but the goods
are odd."