Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] http not working for savannah.gnu.org ...

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] http not working for savannah.gnu.org ... ?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:18:52 -0600

Hello Paul,

Paul Smith wrote:
> The bug email, etc. I get from Savannah all uses an HTTP URL:
>
>   http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?11111
>
> However, right now if I click on that link my browser cannot connect.

Thank you for reporting this problem.  However this always works fine
for me.  But I think we have different environments.  Does being
logged in versus not logged in change this in any way?

When I am logged in the page always redirects to the https version of
the page.  When not logged in it simply works with the http version of
the page.  I just now tested a few combinations and I didn't see
problems either way.

> If I change the URL to use an HTTPS URL:
>
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?11111
>
> then it works fine.  Either Savannah's email etc. should be fixed to
> prefer the HTTPS form, or else the forwarding of HTTP to HTTPS should be
> fixed up, or else both should be supported...

Or else there is something wrong on your side of the browser that
isn't a problem for other people. :-) :-)

But that doesn't mean that there isn't actually a problem.  I tested
using Firefox and Chromium.  What browser are you using?  Do you have
a plugin that might be affecting things such as BetterPrivacy or
something similar?  Can you test some other combinations on other
systems and see if it might be a plugin?

In principle I think it would be a good idea to change that link in
the email to the https version anyway.

Bob