Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Include the FSF fundraising banner in GNU

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Include the FSF fundraising banner in GNU Savannah!.
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 22:06:39 -0500

Hello Mario,

On Dec 12, 2014, at 10:02, Mario Castelán Castro <address@hidden> wrote:

> The FSF has the goal of collecting 525 000 USD by January 31st. I think that
> GNU Savannah must help them by spreading the fundraising campaign. There's
> already a small banner asking users to join the FSF as a member, but the
> fundraising campaign is different from this. What about displaying it in a
> different color on top of the page as in the GNU project and FSF page?.

This is certainly a worthy campaign.

However it's important to remember that GNU Savannah is maintained by
volunteers, and not too many of them.
The FSF (and the "http://www.gnu.org";) is maintained by the FSF, which has a
dedicated full-time web developer and several interns. GNU Savannah does not
have these resources.

Technically,
The 'gnu.org' uses apache server-side includes, which allows the FSF
web-developers to modify the common headers and these changes will propagate on
many of the gnu.org pages.

In contrast, GNU Savannah uses an old PHP framework, which is out-dated by
today's standard (e.g. there's no easy and centralized templating system which
enables changing a common header in one easy location).

As such, I do not think there's enough man-power to add the FSF campaign banner
in an acceptable way (one that will be rendered correctly on all pages and on
all client browsers).

But as always - if there are volunteers who'd like to contribute such changes,
they are welcomed to help GNU Savannah.
A good starting point is running the savannah code locally, see here:
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RunningSavaneLocally/
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SavaneInABox/

There might be a simpler way of adding a subtle message on the front page of
GNU Savannah, but I'm not sure about the effectiveness of such a message.

Regards,
 - Assaf