Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] small suggestion, list descriptions

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] small suggestion, list descriptions
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 23:31:12 -0600

Karl Berry wrote:
> Good question. In my mind, savannah-users is more for discussion "among"
> users

Seems perfectly reasonable.  And I entertained in my head something
similar but failed to articulate it.

> and savannah-help-public is more for sending queries "to" the
> savannah maintainers.

And also among the maintainers.

> But in practice, as far as I can see, this amounts
> to a distinction without a difference.  (Not helped by the
> savannah-help-public and savannah-hackers being the same thing.)

Things like this very discussion is useful and of interest to the
maintainers but for the users I think many of them would be annoyed by
it as most of them would not care.

And those that do care can of course subscribe to this list and
participate.  :-)

> We also seem to use savannah-users for occasional status reports and
> less-permanent announcements (like that upgrade snag), instead of
> savannah-announce.

Honestly I had forgotten about savannah-announce for a long time!
I noticed it existed again just recently.

But yes I tend to send mail to savannah-users to hopefully keep them
aware of things.  Because I hear through the IRC grapevine that people
do get various errors at times and then they ask if there is something
major happening.  It's useful to know if something is a one-off thing
or if it is a continuing system thing.

> I changed the descriptions (overwriting Bob's valiant effort :) to:
>
>     savannah-hackers   For occasional queries and reports to the Savannah
>     maintainers. Now referred to as savannah-help-public ...
>
>     savannah-users   Discussions among Savannah users, informal
>     announcements and status reports.
>
> though I'm not sure it's really an improvement :(. -k

I am good for all of that but wonder about the word "occasional".
Does it need to be occasional?  Seems like an adjective that implies
something that doesn't seem desirable to be implied.

Bob