[Savannah-hackers] Re: Proposed new method for creating accounts

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Proposed new method for creating accounts
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:33:15 -0700

(Adding savannah hackers to cc: list)

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 08:14:27PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     When we move /gd/gnuorg into CVS, they won't need fencepost access for
>     copyright assignments.
>
> You may be right, but please note we will not provide anonymous access
> to copyright.list.  It should be available only to the people who are
> working on FSF-copyrighted packages and need to look at it.  This may
> to some extent complicate the setup needed to

Loic, is there a facility in savannah for a module that has:

o A group for read access
o A group for write access
o No anonymous access?

>                           We have an email address for creating mailing
>     lists, and everything else gets handled by savannah.  When placebo
>     comes along, noone will need fencepost for reading email.
>
> You may be right, but could you explain how it follows?  What job will
> placebo be used for, and how will it affect the way people read mail?

If I understand correctly, Placebo is intended to be the guest
machine.  When this is setup, I think it would be best to invite
people with accounts on fencepost to use placebo for non-sysadmin
tasks.  This is beneficial in two ways:

1) It means that very few people will use interactive accounts on
fencepost, increasing the security of the central resource.

2) GNU hackers will be using placebo as well as guests, giving
incentive to make sure that programs are kept up to date and the
system is kept in good working order.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey