[Savannah-hackers] problem runnig mysql as "nobody"

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] problem runnig mysql as "nobody"
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:12:07 +0200

Jaime E . Villate writes:
 > Hello,
 > I've made a modified version of the log_accum script (the one that sends a
 > e-mail message every time a file is committed to the CVS repository) which
 > extracts the real e-mail address of the author, from the mysql "sourceforge"
 > database. It works fine when it is executed by root, but when run by the CVS
 > server, it does not have any real id and it does not get access to the
 > database.
 >
 > Does anybody know of a quick hack for this? or should I use a wrapper similar
 > to sf_sync_www to access the database locally?

        grepping /etc/aliases (or using a program that does the
same)  seems a lot easier to me. It does not require to have privileges
to access the database and is a facility that is general enough to be
accepted by the maintainer of CVS.

        Could be described as such: option -A -> if the user name
translates to an email address thru the aliases facility, use this address
instead of address@hidden

        The log_accum script is run under the uid of the user. And running
a script that allows any user (CVSROOT for each project is writable by
the project contributors) to get access to the MySQL database seems dangerous
to me.

        Cheers,