Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah
Date: 11 Apr 2001 14:30:16 -0700

"Nic Ferrier" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like you to consider what I'm talking about though. The current
> system is accepting java programs and listing them on our website as a
> service to the java community... it's not making them part of the GNU
> project.

The other parts of this is acting as a clearing-house for the gnu.*
hierarchy of Java package names.  We obviously need some kind of
clearing-house to avoid clashes, and we also need a registry of
packages under gnu.*.  (Of course packages *not* under gnu.* can still
be GNU software.)  At one point I thought that
http://www.gnu.org/software/java/java-software.html was to be that
registry of gnu.* packages.  But is it being used that way?  Is it
being updated?

In February I sent mail to address@hidden asking whether I could
"have" the gnu.lists package name.  I've gotten no answer, so I don't
really know if it ok or not to call my package gnu.lists.  I finally
decided to go ahead.  I now have another new package containing XML
utilities (for now a parser, printer, namespace-resolver, and xpath
evaluator).  This builds on gnu.lists and is in many ways different
from traditional xml implementations.  I'd like to call this gnu.xml.
Nic's proposal came about because of a discussion we had about whether
I could/should call my package gnu.xml, and how to "register" the
gnu.xml package.  I still think java-software.html or a similar
catalog is a good mechanism, but we need some kind of policy for
how new packages can be approved and added.  The address@hidden
list may be a good place to discuss proposed packages, but perhaps
it needs to be expanded to more people.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/~per/