Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:54:12 +0100

>>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> 13-Apr-01 6:42:08 PM >>>

>But gnu-java is normally asked to decide whether
>to mention a package and make a link to it--as you
>recognized:

Ok. The java-software web page says this:

   If you would like to contribute additional Java programs
   to the GNU project, please contact <address@hidden>.

Which doesn't really explain things clearly. It probably needs to say
a little bit more about what exactly those programs are being
contributed to (ie: they're not being contributed, necessarily, to the
GNU project).

>>The current system is accepting java programs
>>and listing them on our website as a service to
>>the java community...

>That is a much easier question than deciding whether we
>want it as a GNU package; the criteria are simpler and the
<threshold is lower.  It does not make sense to go to the
>evaluators team for this kind of question.  We don't give
>such questions to the evaluators team for non-Java programs;
> the webmasters handle it.
>I think we should not change the way we handle this job.

I agree. It seems that listing these packages is a good contribution
to the free software and java communities.

>>My own view is that the GNU project should try to offer
>>something more to the java community. A number of projects
>>and completed programs and libraries which provide GNU
>>java in a coherant and sensible form.

>That might be a useful project, if people want to work on it.
>But we should continue making links to non-GNU Java programs,
>and gnu-java may as well keep handling that.

Ok. Here's what I'm going to do:

- add myself to the gnu-java list so that aaron has some help
- create a savannah project for gnu java webpages
- update the web pages in the way I previously described

Nic Ferrier