Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU libc manual is old

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU libc manual is old
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 21:43:26 +0100

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:39:40PM -0400, Paul Visscher wrote:
> Most of www.gnu.org is managed with CVS, but /manual/ is not. The ideal
> situation would be to allow maintainers to update their manuals through
> CVS. Is there any way we can get savannah to do this while maintaining a
> copy of the manuals on the FTP site(IIRC, that was the initial problem).

The content of /manual can be easily transferred to the CVS in Savannah;
to maintain the manuals in the FTP site too, I see at least two solutions:

1- Instead of having /home/www/html/manual as a symbolic link to
/home/ftp/pub/gnu/Manuals, as it currently is, make /home/ftp/pub/gnu/Manuals
a symbolic link to /home/www/html/manual. Of course, this means configuring
the ftp server to accept links outside of /home/ftp. It this is not
possible/desirable, we still have:

2- Modifying sf_sync_www.c (the program which transfers the files from the
Savannah repository to gnudist) to upload anything starting by /manual
in /home/ftp/pub/gnu/Manuals, while the rest would be uploaded to
/home/www/html/manual (What do think Loic?)

If the manuals were kept in CVS, I do not see the need to keep different
directories such as texinfo-3.12, texinfo-3.9, texinfo-4.0, etc. Instead, how
about a README explaining that versions older than the last one can be
obtained from the CVS repository (via web or via cvs client).

Regards,
Jaime