[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU libc manual is old

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU libc manual is old
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:53:35 +0200

Paul Visscher writes:
 > Andreas Jaeger address@hidden said:
 > >
 > > Hi GNU Webmasters,
 > >
 > > the glibc manual at http://www.gnu.org/manual/ is from version 2.0.6.
 > > Could you update it from the last version?  Alternativly, please tell
 > > me how I and/or Cliff can update it.
 >
 > Most of www.gnu.org is managed with CVS, but /manual/ is not. The ideal
 > situation would be to allow maintainers to update their manuals through
 > CVS. Is there any way we can get savannah to do this while maintaining a
 > copy of the manuals on the FTP site(IIRC, that was the initial problem).

        If you ever find a solution to maintain generated
documentation with CVS, feel free to create a Savannah project for
/manual/ (choose "web site only" license). There is nothing special to
do on Savannah to allow that.

        The closest example of what would need to be done is
/fsfe/fr/server/ that contains a texi documentation that is formated
into HTML or /fsfe/fr/about/ that contains a tex document formated into HTML
and postscript.

        For the manuals I'm under the impression that the simplest solution
would be to have the .texi sources in CVS, not the generated files. The
gnudist nightly script could be used to format the documentation. With
.cvsignore to hide the generated files that would be convenient, I guess.

        I have not clear ideas on this subject, these are just random
thoughts.

        Cheers,