Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: webcvs

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: webcvs
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:51:52 +0100

Joel N. Weber II writes:
>     > So it seems to me that it would be nice if I could go to
>     > https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/sysadmin and see an obvious link to
>     > where I could use webcvs to view the sysadmin documentation once I
>     > have authenticated myself, but that seems to be something which
>     > doesn't actually work, at least not in any obvious fashion.
Loic replies:
>          It does not work, indeed. viewcvs (that replaced webcvs) is not
>    configured (and cannot be, but Jaime will be able to confirm this) to
>    handle authentification. Either everyone or noone can use viewcvs.
That's correct.

> Umm, we have the source for viewcvs, right?
Yes we do, and we have already changed it to fix some bugs from the
original; see:
   http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/savannah/savannah/cvsadmin/

We could have two copies of viewcvs, with two different names, pointing to
different repositories, and making one of them run only if certain cookie is
received (I'm not familiar with the kind of cookies which are sent out by
Savannah). But we have to make sure that user www-data can read the sysadmin
docs (where are they in Savannah?); otherwise we'd need some wrapper as the
one some old version of webcvs in subversions had

Regards,
Jaime