Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS on subversions - commit bug

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS on subversions - commit bug
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 12:08:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Guillaume!

> > The solution for the "/root/.cvsignore" is to add "-f" after cvs in
> > /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> Is that something due to the new version ? Because I don't want to
> modify the configuration files without knowing what has broken them ?

Well, then I'll tell you the whole story.

CVS respects $HOME even if it's running as server.
If cvs is run from inetd $HOME is usually unset.
However, some versions of inetd may set $HOME and some may not unset it if
it's already set.
If you restart inetd from the command line (as opposed to init staring it)
you will have $HOME set in the environment of inetd.

Most likely this happened not because you changed the version of CVS, but
because you restarted inetd from the command line without unsetting $HOME.

"cvs -f" doesn't use $HOME for anything. This is a safe workaround for all
kinds of broken inetd clients.

The reason why inetd doesn't remove $HOME is because nobody fixed it. You
version may not be the latest, but please don't touch it.

The reason why "cvs pserver" doesn't assume "-f" is because CVS is
developed by "conservators" and I didn't spend enough efforts to persuade
then to install a more robust fix. My bad :-(

Pavel Roskin