[Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question

From: Werner Koch
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question
Date: 11 Jun 2001 13:46:11 +0200

 || On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:45:08 +0200
 || Bernhard Reiter <address@hidden> wrote:

 >> Would the French govt people be happy with that arrangement?

 br> Btw: I expect similiar doubts to be present at German govt people, too.

Especially because they are trying to push Berlios - the open-source
thing funded by the German government and run by GMD/Fraunhofer.  What
I have heard from the responsible persons, the community does not yes
accept this project very well.

 br> In the long term I think that it is reasonable to tell each country
 br> that they should have (and found) such a savannah project as a public free
 br> software library to address all these concerns.

My current thinking is that separate machines in each country are not
a good idea because this might lead to competition between countries -
something we surely don't want because it wastes precious human
resources (programmers and admins) and might separate developers from each
other.  Free Software is a global thing and as long as it is
technically feasible one machine or a cluster of machines appearing to
be at one location is IMHO far better.  I can't see a difference
working on a machine in the US or somewhere here in Gemarny.  You can
even get some load balancing by having users spread over all
timezones.

Well (fallover) backup machines are a Good Thing and they should of
course be distributed over different physical networks and
geographical areas.  As Loic said, the technical issues are much
simpler in this case.

There is still the issue of software which might legally not be
used/developed/exported in one country.  But this is a special case
where we probably have to find a solution case by case.

ciao,

  Werner