Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:38:22 +0200

Samuel Tardieu writes:
 > On 15/06, Richard Stallman wrote:
 >
 > |        Because the Savannah software is not packaged and not
 > |     configurable.
 > |
 > | Yes, but would it really be hard to move it to one other GNU machine?
 > | That is not nearly as much work as packaging it and making it
 > | configurable.
 >
 > The problem IMO is not the initial installation (you can make a copy of the
 > disks and remove all the already existing projects), it is the maintenance.
 > It is hard to have the software evolve the same way on two or more machines
 > unless it is properly packaged (be it a .tar.gz with everything you need).

        I agree with Samuel that this is an additional problem. I do
not want to stop someone from undertaking this effort. You're right to
suggest that cloning Savannah (disk copy) will be less work than
installing it from scratch. I will speak to people about the idea of
setting up a European Savannah.

        Cheers,