Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:17:26 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:
 >          That would be the ideal situation. We currently lack the
 >     software able to implement this but maybe we will, at some point. In
 >     the meantime a simple mirror can be done.
 >
 > A mirror would be of use for people who want to track the development,
 > but if we want to help European developers, we should go with the
 > original proposal: a European counterpart of Savannah.
 >
 > So let's go back to that proposal, unless we can find a way to
 > do a pair of equivalent sites and NOT just a mirror.

        I hope the situation will evolve in the months to come to allow
us to do this. Currently the effort needed to setup a Savannah clone
in Europe or anywhere else is so big that nobody is apparently willing
to do it. The situation may change in various ways:

        1) The software used to implement Savannah will evolve and
           be packaged in such a way that setting up a Savannah clone is
           easy to setup + maintain.

        2) People involved in the CoopX project will build a Savannah clone
           in Europe that can be integrated in the GNU project.

        3) Some GNU volunteers decide to undertake the creation and
           maintainance of a Savannah clone in Europe.

        I really can't predict what will happen first :-) I'd like to
say that I do not have enough fuel myself to push for 2 or 3. I'm
working on 1 but it will take a long time (the involvement of Dan
Kuykendal + learning phpgroupware + creation of coopx.eu.org are part
of this effort).

        Cheers,