[Savannah-hackers] Re: sshd crashed

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: sshd crashed
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:25:45 -0400

I think that the intention of whomever set up subversions is that on
subversions, lshd listens for connections on the canonical ssh port
and calls openssh for sshv1 connections.

(I'm not making any assertions about what we should be doing here,
merely about what I thought we actually were doing.)

I think this also is a reminder that in the long run, it's useful to
have both an sshd run in standalone mode, and something that's run out
of inetd; in the long run, once we move to sshv2 being the only way to
log in (which is probably a year or two off, at least, but that is the
direction we're heading; OTOH, I'll point out that I intend to have
gssapi supporting sshv2 deployed before we do this, so this is not an
assertion that kerberos should go away), we might want to have ssh
listening on two ports running both ways.  (Except that that still
doesn't help you when you're upgrading your sshd, but perhaps this is
what serial console lines are for.)