[Savannah-hackers] Re: gcc at subversions

From: Jason Molenda
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: gcc at subversions
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 06:16:19 +0000

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 06:22:35PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> > We can definitely give it a try. I changed the frequency right
> > now and will watch the mrtg graphs (subversions.gnu.org/mrtg) & logs
> > in the next 24 hours. If you can check on your side that it behaves as
> > expect it would be nice.

Incidentally, I've been wanting to add something to log_accum so
it could output a file of (time-date, directories-files) for a
repository.  It would maintain a list of clients (e.g. subversoin.gnu.org's
gcc repo), and it would respond to a query from each client with
a list of files/directories that have been touched since the last
query.  The query/response could happen through a cgi-bin script.

The idea is that subversions.gnu.org would wget the pre-determined
URL every, say, fifteen minutes, and would rsync over the files
that had been modified in that time interval.

Less often (e.g. once a day) they'd do a full-blown rsync to pick
up any CVS tags that had been added, for instance.  (cvs tag won't
go through log_accum)

It's just an idea I've been kicking around for a while, not something
I'm committing to doing right away.  But it seems like it could be
useful for this sort of thing.

> > Of course the risk is that we mirror a locked file and that during an
> > hour the corresponding file is not available. I'm not sure what would
> > be the easiest way to avoid this problem.

This doesn't cause troubles in practice.  rsync builds the file
list on the server, then does the same on the client, then sends
any modified files.  By then, the lock files have moved on the
server side.

You can add the lock files to rsync's exclude regexps (and this is
what I've done for the CVS repository on gcc.gnu.org), but rsync
will unhelpfully give you an "I/O error" when one of these files
disappears between steps, even though you've declared you're not
interested in them.

Anyway, on the off chance that a lock file remained through all the
steps, rsync should exclude it given the config on this system.

Jason