Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The New Aspell

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The New Aspell
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:46:26 +0100

Dans un message du 23 nov à 17:25, address@hidden écrivait :
> Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: The New Aspell
> System name: aspell
>
> The project here will be the merge of Aspell and Pspell.  The project
> will be named the New Aspell until it becomes stable and it will then
> become simply Aspell and the old Aspell and Pspell hosted on
> sourceforge  will sease to exist. An announcment about the merge can
> be found at http://pspell.sourceforge.net/merge.html.  However note
> that I plan on going with Aspell as the name rather than Pspell, but
> this is not set it turn so I would like to have the possiblilty of
> renaming the project.

I've approved your project. But, I've looked at the aspell and pspell
sources in the SF CVS and they do not contain any copyright notice.
Therefore, from a stricly legal point of view, they are not Free
Software. We normally ask the authors to add a proper copyright notice
_before_ we approve the project. In this case, I think it wouldn't have
made sense since you plan to merge both projects.

That said, I ask you to add a proper copyright notice to your source
files during the merge. I hope you understand our concers on this issue.

A complete copyright notice for the LGPL MUST reside at the beginning of
every source files.

e.g

// Copyright (C) Year1,Year2 Author1, Author2
//
// This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
// it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
// published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the
// License, or (at your option) any later version.
//
// This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
// WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
// MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
// Lesser General Public License for more details.
//
// You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
// License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
// Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
//

You also have to include a copy of the GNU LGPL in your distribution.

Furthemore, please notice that we prefer using the term Free Software
(which implies the idea of certain freedom on the sources) than Open
Source (which only means that you can view the sources but with no
garanteed freedom).

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>

                  Batailler corps et âmes pour un maudit refus
                              (No one is innocent)