Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Educational Infor

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Educational Information System
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:27:41 +0000

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:11:19PM +0100, Dominique Broeglin wrote:
> I will resubmit my project. But if you don't mind I would help me to
> discuss some points with you as you already know of my situation.
Sure. But I'll keep a cc to address@hidden, because these issues are
of interest to the list.

>       I do not understand here. J2EE is just a bunch of specs for a java
> framework and application server.

Sun uses the name for the specification and for their own implementation of
the specification. Sun has a trademark on J2EE and claims that only those
authorized by them can implement the specification, as you can read in:
   http://java.sun.com//j2ee/licensees.html
Sun's lawyers already made Jboss drop an e from their former name and any day
can decide to go after them for implementing, or even talking about J2EE.

>From what I read in http://www.jboss.org, I'm under the impression that in
order to use JBoss you need JDK 1.3; but they are not very clear in that
point and I'm not willing to download 24 Mbytes to find more information. You
might be able to answer the question more easily: do you have JDK installed in
the machine where you use JBoss? If you replaced JDK by one of the free Java
Virtual Machines available, would it work?

> JBoss implements those specs and is under LGPL so I conclude that I do not
> use non-free *software*.
I agree that JBoss is free-software; but it depends on a "1.3+ JVM" (whatever
they mean by that; I guess they mean Sun's JDK v. 1.3). The question is: are
there any "1.3+ JVM" free? If there are none, then you must be using non-free
software to make JBoss and your own software work. As I told you, if you
really want to be sure, uninstall JDK and any other non-free JVM's and see if
it still runs with a free JVM. The fact that JBoss is not in
Debian makes me think it has dependencies problems.

> question is on a  specs are public. I'm not sure they are free but anyone
> can implement them without restrictions so I suppose they are close to it.
Sun, who has the trademark on J2EE, does not agree with you.

Regards,
Jaime