Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Educational Infor

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Educational Information System
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:18:01 +0000

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:44:56AM +0100, Dominique Broeglin wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 19:27, Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> No you can run JBoss on any JDK above version 1.3. It worked for me on
> Sun JDKs and IBM JDKs. I'm not an expert of the JBoss source. But I
> think the constraint comes from a new feature in Java 1.3, the proxies.
> It permits on the fly generation of stubs without a tedious compilation.
> So I think any 1.3 compatible JVM would work. Does any exist ? I just
> tried the blackdown JVM (1.3.1) it works well with it. But I'm not sure
> it's free.

blackdown's JVM belongs to Sun and has a proprietary, non-permissive license.
It is actually J2SE (Java 2 Standard Edition); "Standard" in this case seem to
mean: "get a group of hackers, make them work for free thinking they are
developping free software, and then appropriate their work".
I'm not aware of any free JVM compatible with JDK 1.3

> To conclude, if I cannot run JBoss on a free JVM I have a dependance
> issue and cannot host the project on Savannah. Am I right ?
Right. You would have to either use something different from JBoss, or
convince JBoss developpers to remove their dependency on the JDK.

Greetings,
Jaime