[Savannah-hackers] Re: FS platform - compete or extend?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: FS platform - compete or extend?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:02:26 +0100

Marco Demarmels writes:
 > Merci de nouveau, Loic
 >
 > I'd like to continue the discussion: ok, let's look at "GPL compatible"
 > licenses. Is there a definition of "compatible" that you guys adhere to?
 > I'd like to find out whether we can share your view completely.

        You'll find a list of GPL compatible licenses at

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

        Compatibility is determined by a study of both license. The
GNU project and the FSF do this for the GPL. It should also be done for
other licenses (is MPL compatible with Apache License for instance ?)
but nobody is apparently willing to do the job. This is unfortunate since
it makes the work of mixing various Free Software components with each
other hazardous from a legal point of view.

        Finding out that two licenses are incompatible is generally a lot
easier than finding out that two licenses are compatible. Two licenses
are incompatible if their terms contradict each other. You only need to
spot one contradiction to declare the license incompatible. Two licenses
are compatible if none of their terms contradict each other under any
circumstances. You need to think of all possible cases to declare
compatibility and doing so requires advices from a lawyer, most of the
time.

 > In a positive case, what could we expect from you guys at savannah to
 > get as a head start with our tiny platform? The software is GPL, so we
 > can download it and tinker with it on our own.

        I'm not sure to understand. Could you please rephrase your question ?