[Savannah-hackers] Re: FS platform - compete or extend?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: FS platform - compete or extend?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:13:41 +0100

Marco Demarmels writes:
 > Hi Loic
 >
 > Wow - that was a quick response!
 >
 > As to the compatibility, it seems to me that we could ask contributors
 > to make sure they be GPL compatible (according to the URL you mentioned)
 > and go about checking as projects come in. Yes, I think that's the way
 > to go.

        Do you mean that you would accept any Free Software license but
advise people be careful about compatibility issues ?

 > Rephrasing my question: is there any advice or suggestion available from
 > your side, given your experience with savannah, that you are willing to
 > pass on to us, while we are really implementing the platform?

        Yes: stick to Free Software ideals no matter what and state
this clearly in many places. The Free Software ideals are too often
forgotten.  Promote the ethical foundations of Free Software (instead
of merely technical convenience and/or efficiency), place the
individuals above the companies, reject any kind of dependency that
would enslave Free Software (proprietary software is the most
important but there are other pitfalls to avoid such as financial
dependancy, non cooperative development processes, software patents etc.).

        Cheers,