[Savannah-hackers] Re: Removal of modules in CVS

From: Anders Bruun Olsen
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Removal of modules in CVS
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:30:42 +0100

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 09:51:18AM +0000, Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> > We are going to be using a completely new directory structure in the
> > module "grimoire" that will NOT have to be changed! Thus I would really
> > appreciate if you could go in a physically clear that module. The module
> > "gag" is no longer used at all, so it would be nice to have that deleted
> > all together, even though it really is no big deal.
> Done. While you're at reconstructing modules structure, I'd suggest some other
> changes. You currently have the following structure:
>   sorcerer
>       |-- CVSROOT
>       |-- new_spells
>       \-- sorcery

Actually, we are only going to be using the modules "sorcery" and
"grimoire".. so if you could delete new_spells too it would be nice..

> I suggest that a module "sorcerer" is created, and new_spells, sorcery and any
> other new modules move under it (you cannot do those changes but I can do them
> for you if you agree):
>    sorcerer
>       |-- CVSROOT
>       \-- sorcerer
>              |-- new_spells
>              |-- sorcery
>              \-- other_new_module

That won't be consistent with our design plans, so thanks, but no thanks
:)

We are working in 2 teams, one that handles Sorcery - bugfixes and new
features, and one that handles the grimoire, updating and adding spells.
So it would not be smart to have our two modules in one as amongst other
things the grimoire is probably going to be checked out once per day
from a cronjob, and it seems silly to check out sorcery when that is not
needed. Sorcery is not going to be updated quite as often as the
grimoire.

> The reason to keep it that way, is uniformity with all other projects, which
> use that kind of structure. Several Savannah scripts assume that
> "projectname"'s repository is in /cvsroot/projectname/projectname; if you do
> not follow that structure, you may run into trouble (one problem I see now is
> users complaining the CVS retrival instructions in Savannah are wrong, but
> there might be other future problems).

Don't worry about that, we have CVS instructions on our page
(www.sorcerylinux.org), so it won't be a problem..

> By the way: do you want me to remove those empty subdirectories below
> new_spells?

I'd rather that you remove new_spells altogether :)

> P.S. It is better to ask savannah-hackers, rather than cvs-hackers these kind
> of requests, so I've changed the list of recipients.

Okay, I just figured that since this was somewhat CVS specific I should
write to cvs-hackers..

--
Anders
PGPKey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8BFECB41