[Savannah-hackers] Re: Removal of modules in CVS

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Removal of modules in CVS
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:58:04 +0000

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:30:42PM +0100, Anders Bruun Olsen wrote:
> Actually, we are only going to be using the modules "sorcery" and
> "grimoire".. so if you could delete new_spells too it would be nice..
Done.

> > I suggest that a module "sorcerer" is created, and new_spells, sorcery and
> > any
> > other new modules move under it (you cannot do those changes but I can do
> > them
> > for you if you agree):
> >    sorcerer
> >       |-- CVSROOT
> >       \-- sorcerer
> >              |-- new_spells
> >              |-- sorcery
> >              \-- other_new_module
>
> That won't be consistent with our design plans, so thanks, but no thanks
> :)
>
> We are working in 2 teams, one that handles Sorcery - bugfixes and new
> features, and one that handles the grimoire, updating and adding spells.
> So it would not be smart to have our two modules in one as amongst other
> things the grimoire is probably going to be checked out once per day
> from a cronjob, and it seems silly to check out sorcery when that is not
> needed. Sorcery is not going to be updated quite as often as the
> grimoire.
What I propose does not mean that you will have the two modules in one.
You can keep the logical structure you want, together with the physical
structure I'm proposing:
   In sorcerer/CVSROOT/modules add the following lines:
     sorcery  sorcerer/sorcery
     grimoire sorcerer/grimoire

This will define the modules sorcery and grimoire; you can then use "cvs co
sorcery", "cvs co grimoire", and "cvs co sorcerer" to get a copy of sorcery,
grimoire or everything.

> > (one problem I see now is
> > users complaining the CVS retrival instructions in Savannah are wrong, but
> > there might be other future problems).
>
> Don't worry about that, we have CVS instructions on our page
> (www.sorcerylinux.org), so it won't be a problem..
If a user enters your project's page in Savannah
(savannah.gnu.org/projects/sorcerer), instead of the homepage, he/she will get
wrong instructions for the CVS (and there will be other problems as I said).

Jaime