Re: [Savannah-hackers] Lost in the (GNU) Savannah

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Lost in the (GNU) Savannah
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:08:39 +0200

Le lun 08 avr 2002 à 15h05, Shlomi Fish a écrit :

Refer to:

http://www.advogato.org/person/shlomif/diary.html?start=32

for a rant I made about how Savannah treated the submission of two
projects I tried to make. It contains some facts, my opinion and
some criticism, which I believe is constructive.

Personally, when I talk about other people point of view, I use quotation and links (to mailing-list for example). Mainly because my main work is to study writings, I have the strong conviction that texts avoiding this kind of transparency rules (quotation, references) is not the better way to be "constructive".

As I've previously said, I speak only for myself.
And I think you should realize that your text doesn't contain « some facts » but does contain your understanding of some facts.

"This started a relatively good natured argument between me and the Savannah Hackers. I said that I was allowed to parody the GPL in my COPYING file, without them being concerned by it. They thought it was in the project submission for some reason. (I'm not responsible for
            them actually opening the package)."

For example, a link to the concerned mail or a quote should permit anyone to understand that there no "They" but someone in charge of your submission, Loic, and another one, me, reacting to a mail he received as member of the list address@hidden, trying to give you a complement of informations.

So, use of quotes and references would permit anyone to make up his mind with a neutral understanding of the fact, not with a partial version of it. "I invested a lot of time in coding it, but was also a good human engineer: I answered E-mails, even very trivial, politely and informatively; I formed a mailing list, and actively helped people who reviewed the code, or wished to integrate it into their projects; and I actively thought of what the end user would like to find there. I think Savannah should follow suit,
            and actually trust their hackers for a change."

Wasn't Loic's emails polite and informative ? Are you saying that savannah doesn't give a s... about what "user would like to find there" ?

Hum. You are free to think and write what you want.
Is it being "a good human engineer" ? I dont know.

--
mathieu