Re: [Savannah-hackers] Lost in the (GNU) Savannah

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Lost in the (GNU) Savannah
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:02:04 +0200

I understand you cannot afford to be so straightforward. That's
perfectly
fine, but please: I gave you my word that it is PD, believe me, accept
the
project, and request me to put a COPYING file there a posteriori. I
would
have been glad to do so. We could have discussed the legal precautions
should have taken, after I would have had a web-site, a project
configuration page, and a CVS repository. But I keep having to
re-submit
it, and it makes me frustrated. HE is about making people as not
frustrated as possible. (without sacrificing security, or consistency
or
poewr, or other important factors, of course)

In fact, we know that is frustating to do the registration process many times. The problem is that a registration left in the queue, waiting for approval, requesting someone the give more information, to be ok with legal issues, is maybe a registration that will forever incomplete since it's frequent that someone create an account somewhere and never use it. So the decision has been made to discard any project that doesnt fit the requirements. So the most of the project on savannah have done more than one registration.

Maybe we should implement something that make the second, third, registration easier (for example, when his registration is discarded, a user could receive and email with a url that permit him to redo the whole in one click : but this is interesting only if the first description is ok...) but I don't think we should do like SF.net, accept all the project without distinctions. IMHO, savannah is not like SF.net, the goal is to host Free Software project that need to, not to host many project has we can since it could be a commercial argument (it is, obviously, for VA Software).

About your problem of Public Domain, maybe you are right, a COPYING file could be just fine. But it adding a short license (Public Domain) description is not a task so hard to do, it can be done in a few minutes.

Mathieu Roy

http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
http://yeupou.coleumes.org