[Savannah-hackers] savannah account

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah account
Date: 22 Aug 2002 04:24:25 -0700

So I already am a savannah user.  I don't need to be told "hey, who
the f*ck are you?"

And yet, it doesn't work for me.  So rather than "hey, who the f*ck
are you!  prove to us you count!" I want you to assume that I am
worthy of consideration.

If cvs-hackers no longer reaches the right people--which it once
did--then that needs to be fixed ASAP.  And, while you're at it, it's
a horrible shame that the GNU project has decided to turn its back on
the attitude it cultivated for such a long time--that being helpful
was a priority, and that helping people obtain access, rather than
putting up barriers, was a chief responsibility of the Project.

So, when I try to log in, I get errors, when it did once work.

When I use ssh, it fails.  When I use kerberized telnet, it fails.
When I use the login on the oh-so-clever web page, it says the
unhelpful "phpkrb5 module failure".  It would be nice to have a GNU
server that was accessible to GNU programmers in a way which seemed to
do more than stroke the ego of systems administrators who enjoy
playing access control games.

I recall once when it worked.  I recall once when I was *recruited* to
use savannah, in an effort to get established GNU developers to host
their projects there, and I was promised all kinds of nice things
about how friendly it would be and what wonderful access it would be.
It turns out that it's basically a poor version of source forge.  What
a disaster.  Does this mean that I need to move my projects off
savannah now?

Anyway, fix it.

Thomas